Maastricht University (UM) is the most international university in the Netherlands and, with more than 16,000 students and 4,000 employees, is still growing. The university stands out for its innovative education model, international character and multidisciplinary approach to research and education.
Thanks to its high-quality research and study programmes as well as a strong focus on social engagement, UM has quickly built up a solid reputation. Today it is considered one of the best young universities in the world.
Mission & strategy
Maastricht University is a research university where fundamental and applied research are inextricably linked with education and educational innovation. Maastricht University:
- makes a genuine, tangible contribution to a better world
- is truly international: in student population, curricula and mentality
- helps students develop as global citizens at the forefront of their generation
- has an innovative approach to education: students seek their own answers and their own added value
- is anchored in society, in Maastricht and the Euregion
The university has defined a set of core values that serve as key principles for the conduct and attitude of staff and students:
- realise social impact
- create value
- encourage dialogue
- nourish initiative
- work from intrinsic curiosity
Multi- and interdisciplinary
Research and education at UM have a thematic, multidisciplinary nature, inspired by topical issues such as sustainability, European integration, healthy ageing and the influence of technological developments on society. Researchers work in multidisciplinary teams, in close collaboration with national and international institutions, companies and industry.