The master’s specialisation in Computer Science and Science Communication and Society offers students the opportunity to combine previous research training with programmes in different aspects of science communication, such as journalism, new media, museology and information visualisation.
The track consists of two parts: the first master’s year is given in English and focuses Computer Science. In the second master’s year the student follows the Dutch-language communication element. Students of this master’s specialisation have an excellent opportunity to broaden their studies outside their own specialist field, and during the internship are able to try out the interesting opportunities offered by a career as scientific communicator or science journalist. The experiences and insights gained will be of benefit to those who intend to continue in an academic environment, for example as a PhD candidate in their own specialist field. The ability to communicate about science is an essential skill which all scientists should have mastered!
For further information, please visit the Science Communication and Society site.
Reasons to Choose Computer Science in Leiden
- The programme offers stimulating, significant and innovative research in the field of Computer Science
- Research at the Leiden Institute of Advanced Computer Science (LIACS) has an excellent international reputation.
- The strength of the programmes is the individual approach: an individually tailored programme will be designed for each student.
- The researchers and assistants are easily accessible. Students and staff work closely together in a research-oriented environment.
- Students with an MSc in Computer Science are admissible to a PhD programme.
- It provides students with a thorough computer science background that will allow them to pursue careers in research or industrial environments.